Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but incredibly flexible since they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my methods, ideas, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might really stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Finding that lp container and also having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and after that once we located one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of places prior to I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool area which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. With that stated, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warm just right and also keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. I could NOT have been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms till it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really slim in the center. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook right via.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading as well as basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we must buy it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every so often as dust settles on it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly help it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I think that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the real prepping as well as cooking to be a bit taxing, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning process required. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s additionally really lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.