Ooni Fyra Pellet Burning Pizza Oven
Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a fast and also easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but incredibly versatile because they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, tips, and methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night extra interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas storage tank, and after that when we located one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was most definitely simpler than I expected it to be. When you connect the propane storage tank, you just transform it as much as high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily amazed at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around and additionally a great range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily amazed to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a tough cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it top and easy lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just try to find another thing comparable online. But let me save you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also rather straightforward to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner swear way too much while he was placing it with each other and also I assume it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One thing that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that preparing and making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a headache, the real prepping and preparing to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage room to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.