Ooni Fyra Or Koda
Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They use a very easy and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely flexible given that they can reach such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my suggestions, tricks, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
This is a reliable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. Finding that gas tank as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, and after that as soon as we located one we needed to find a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was absolutely easier than I expected it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins once you connect the gas container. After that lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly stunned at how easy the Ooni is to use as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried regarding the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal and also keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily stunned to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He advises using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick between it will not cook right through.
- Don’t include as well many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant but confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt settles on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not occupy way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you do not have any protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise very lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.