Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and also easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but super flexible since they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and also wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp storage tank, and afterwards once we found one we had to find a place to get it filled. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. With that said, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warm just right and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading and basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we must purchase it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me conserve you a long time and power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty basic to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it together and also I think it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt picks it, but besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will assist it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered area to keep it though.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a headache, the actual preparing and prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure involved. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.