Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a simple as well as quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however very versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my methods, ideas, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza night extra amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. I’m not sure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, as well as after that once we located one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. With that said, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous about the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound ball of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too several toppings to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident yet hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just try to find another thing comparable online. But let me conserve you a long time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also pretty easy to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vouch too much while he was putting it together and I think it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will help it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. You just connect the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I believe that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a hassle, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.