Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a very easy and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however incredibly versatile since they can get to such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, tips, and also methods – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specifications you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container. Tracking down that lp tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and after that when we discovered one we had to discover a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of places before I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes once you link the propane container. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins. My companion and also I were both pleasantly surprised at how easy the Ooni is to utilize and how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the cool spot which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. With that claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and also keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the center. This will certainly give you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t prepare completely with.
- Do not add also numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced yet enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should get it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, yet other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I think that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a headache, the real prepping and also cooking to be a bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.