Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however extremely versatile because they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally obtained ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, pointers, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might truly trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane container, and also then when we found one we had to find a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great spot which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. With that claimed, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the heat ideal and keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the center. This will provide you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick between it won’t prepare all the way with.
- Don’t add too several garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or just look for another thing similar online. Yet let me save you a long time as well as energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright best size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also rather basic to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my partner vouch too much while he was placing it with each other and also I think it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered area to keep it however.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the propane and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I think that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a headache, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a bit taxing, and I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.