Ooni Fyra 12 Pizza Oven Review
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super functional given that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, as well as after that once we located one we had to find a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be simpler. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat perfect and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound round of dough in 2, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare completely with.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it straightforward and also top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or simply search for another thing comparable online. But let me conserve you a long time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise excessive while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
Something that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I assume that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s likewise very light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.