Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick as well as simple method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet very flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, tricks, and tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening extra interesting!
This is a well-crafted, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container. Finding that lp container and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we found one we had to find a place to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be less complicated. With that claimed, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat just right as well as keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. I could NOT have actually been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not cook all the means with.
- Do not add as well several garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to acquire it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s super practical in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust decides on it, however aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I think that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s additionally really light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.