Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast and also simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however very functional because they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my suggestions, ideas, and methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane storage tank and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and afterwards as soon as we located one we had to find a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our local hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas before I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious concerning the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat just right and also keep it moving. However, I was happily stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is very very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually prevailed since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He advises using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really slim between. This will offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the means via.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it simple and top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we must get it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online, I had not been sure. However let me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, however aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I think that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s additionally really lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.