Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet extremely functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, suggestions, as well as techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a gas container, as well as then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! It was absolutely much easier than I anticipated it to be. Once you attach the lp tank, you just transform it approximately high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily stunned at just how very easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that stated, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm just right and keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I could NOT have been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly prevailed since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the center. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare all the means via.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just search for another thing comparable online. Yet let me conserve you a long time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright ideal dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner promise too much while he was placing it together and also I think it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected space to save it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I think that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.