Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick and easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however incredibly functional given that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some pleasure for you and make pizza evening extra exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a gas storage tank, and after that when we found one we had to find a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was absolutely easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you attach the lp tank, you simply turn it approximately high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly stunned at how simple the Ooni is to utilize and how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy area which provides you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to move the pizza around and also a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat just right and maintain it moving. However, I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound round of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the middle. This will certainly offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook completely via.
- Do not include way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it easy and also top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful however unconvinced that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside and also very crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should buy it or simply search for another thing comparable online. Allow me conserve you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vow excessive while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will assist it last longer. If you do not have any kind of protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of work to get the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the propane and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Because I believe that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot more work. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.