Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a easy and also quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet incredibly versatile since they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, thoughts, as well as tips – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a bigger size so that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually trigger some joy for you and make pizza night much more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane tank and also having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and after that as soon as we located one we had to find a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, however I called a TON of locations before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! It was certainly simpler than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the propane tank, you simply turn it approximately high and let it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both happily shocked at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and also how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great spot which gives you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. With that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat just right and keep it relocating. I was happily shocked to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel also. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out also huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will aid it last longer. If you do not have any covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s likewise really lightweight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.