Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick as well as simple means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely flexible because they can reach such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, ideas, as well as suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and also desired a larger size so that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might really spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Locating that propane storage tank and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards once we found one we had to find a location to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great place which provides you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. However truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Since I believe that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the real prepping and cooking to be a bit taxing, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.