Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy and also fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but extremely versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my methods, suggestions, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening much more exciting!
Also, this is a durable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp storage tank, and also then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins once you connect the gas storage tank. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins. My companion and also I were both happily shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of and also exactly how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare too swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be less complicated. With that claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit worried about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat perfect and also keep it relocating. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He advises using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it gets large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick between it won’t cook right through.
- Don’t add as well several garnishes to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet unconvinced that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we should acquire it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dust picks it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last longer. If you don’t have any covered space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s additionally really light-weight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.