Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a simple and also quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but very versatile since they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly obtained ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, tips, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night extra interesting!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane tank and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and after that once we located one we needed to discover a place to get it loaded. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, however I called a TON of areas before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great spot which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to move the pizza around and also a great distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. Keeping that stated, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat ideal and keep it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add too several toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we must buy it or simply try to find something else similar online. Let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright excellent size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally quite easy to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was placing it with each other and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, but besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just link the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I assume that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.