Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple as well as fast means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but very versatile because they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening much more amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and also after that once we found one we had to find a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing spot which gives you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. With that claimed, our favored cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is very simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really prevailed because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the method with.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it simple and also top lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we ought to buy it or just try to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me save you some time and energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute ideal size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather straightforward to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner promise way too much while he was placing it with each other and also I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will aid it last longer. If you don’t have any type of covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I assume that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.