Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick and also easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet super flexible given that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, techniques, and tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and likewise desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area might truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and then when we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. Once you attach the lp container, you simply transform it up to high and also allow it warm up for 20 mins. After that lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both happily shocked at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and also exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool area which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be easier. With that said, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it easy and also leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful but hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s affordable and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we need to buy it or just try to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time and power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was also quite basic to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was placing it together as well as I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One thing that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I think that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.