Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a easy as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but incredibly versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening much more amazing!
This is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane container and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of locations before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy place which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and low it awhile much longer at a lower temp could be easier. With that said, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal and also keep it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and also topping. However truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Using the pizza oven is very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I really lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely thin in the middle. This will give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it simple and leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful but skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we should buy it or simply try to find another thing similar online. Allow me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute best size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally quite easy to create – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
>> Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the propane and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I assume that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.