Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, tips, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly trigger some joy for you and make pizza evening extra amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Finding that propane storage tank and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and then as soon as we found one we needed to locate a area to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. With that said claimed, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal as well as keep it relocating. However, I was happily amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will certainly provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident yet hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should get it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels also. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One thing that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the gas and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Because I assume that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s also very light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.