Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick and simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet incredibly functional because they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my methods, tips, and thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp container and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and after that as soon as we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel much, however I called a TON of areas before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which gives you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to low and also cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth just right and also maintain it relocating. I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is super simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very thin between. This will offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook right with.
- Don’t add as well many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical but hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we must buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. Let me save you some time and power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright ideal dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite easy to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion swear excessive while he was placing it together and also I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt decides on it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just link the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I believe that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.