Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast and very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet super versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, ideas, and also pointers – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise desired a larger size to make sure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually trigger some happiness for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
Also, this is a durable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a gas tank, and also then when we located one we had to discover a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! It was absolutely less complicated than I expected it to be. When you attach the propane container, you simply turn it as much as high and also let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins. My partner and I were both happily amazed at just how easy the Ooni is to use and just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to move the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. With that claimed, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the heat perfect as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I actually lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely thin between. This will provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook all the way through.
- Don’t include too lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to acquire it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I assume that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a problem, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally really lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.