Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick and also easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however very versatile considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may actually trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank. Locating that gas tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and afterwards when we found one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. The good news is, our local equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, however I called a TON of areas before I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the lp tank, you simply turn it approximately high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize and just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which gives you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to reduced and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warm just right and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I can NOT have been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very slim in the center. This will give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook all the way with.
- Do not add also many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident yet skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we need to purchase it or simply try to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Yet let me conserve you time as well as power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was also pretty basic to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner promise excessive while he was putting it together and also I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One point that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.