Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a fast and very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely versatile considering that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my techniques, ideas, as well as suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening extra amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and then as soon as we located one we had to find a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the lp storage tank, you simply turn it approximately high as well as let it heat up for 20 minutes. Then reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great place which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our liked cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried about the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth ideal and also maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I really lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t prepare right with.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it top as well as straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and super crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to purchase it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
Something that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt decides on it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it does not take up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered space to save it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just connect the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.