Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a quick and also very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however very flexible since they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my pointers, tricks, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may really spark some pleasure for you and make pizza evening extra interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Finding that gas tank and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel far, however I called a TON of locations before I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The great part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which gives you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that said said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit worried concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat perfect and maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the way through.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful yet skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we should buy it or just try to find something else similar online. However let me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally rather basic to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner promise excessive while he was placing it together as well as I think it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every so often as dust chooses it, but besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I believe that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a hassle, the real prepping and also preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise very lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.