Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick and simple means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but incredibly versatile because they can get to such a heat and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, techniques, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and likewise desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane storage tank, as well as then when we found one we had to find a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy spot which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a great distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warm to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be easier. Keeping that stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin between. This will offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook right with.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top and basic lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just try to find another thing comparable online. Let me save you some time as well as energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty straightforward to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion promise excessive while he was putting it with each other and I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any covered area to store it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. Because I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.