Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile because they can reach such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, pointers, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly trigger some happiness for you and make pizza night extra exciting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Locating that lp container as well as having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a gas tank, and then when we located one we had to locate a location to get it loaded. Thankfully, our local hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas before I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was absolutely much easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you attach the lp tank, you just transform it approximately high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both happily surprised at how simple the Ooni is to use as well as how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the trendy area which provides you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. Keeping that said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat ideal and maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim in the middle. This will provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t cook all the means through.
- Don’t add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we should get it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any protected room to keep it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just link the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage space to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.