Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a simple and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, thoughts, and also suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area may actually spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, as well as then as soon as we found one we had to find a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes when you link the propane container. Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warm to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried concerning the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also covering. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook completely through.
- Don’t include as well many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to continue to define how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we need to purchase it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust settles on it, but aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered space to store it however.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I think that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure required. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.