Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and also quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however very versatile given that they can reach such a heat and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza night extra exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, as well as after that as soon as we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! It was certainly much easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you connect the propane storage tank, you simply turn it approximately high and allow it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it awhile longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. With that said said, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I might NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He suggests using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim between. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare all the means through.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it top as well as easy lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we need to purchase it or simply try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that really lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply connect the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I assume that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a problem, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise extremely light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.