Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet very functional because they can reach such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank. Tracking down that propane tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas tank, and after that as soon as we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of places before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! It was certainly much easier than I expected it to be. You simply turn it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the lp storage tank. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to use and just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome area which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be simpler. Keeping that stated, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it moving. I was happily shocked to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very thin in the center. This will certainly give you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick between it won’t cook all the way through.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So keep it simple and also top lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to purchase it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One thing that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt picks it, yet aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s likewise very light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.