Ooni Built In Pizza Oven
Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but very versatile since they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my pointers, techniques, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really spark some delight for you and also make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, as well as after that when we located one we had to find a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. Once you link the lp storage tank, you simply transform it approximately high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both happily surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of and just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing spot which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to low as well as cooking it awhile longer at a lower temp could be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm perfect and also maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to master it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. I might NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick between it won’t prepare right through.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it basic and also top gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and extremely crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we should buy it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dust picks it, however other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you don’t have any protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply link the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a hassle, the actual prepping and cooking to be a bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.