Ooni British Museum
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but incredibly flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as also desired a larger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not certain why, but here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and also then when we discovered one we had to discover a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! It was most definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes once you attach the propane container. After that lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily shocked at how simple the Ooni is to use and just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool place which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to low and also cooking it awhile longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. With that said said, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth just right and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim in the middle. This will provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare right through.
- Do not include as well several garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was doubtful but enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we need to purchase it or just try to locate something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite basic to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner promise excessive while he was placing it with each other and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
Something that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, however other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Because I believe that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a bit of storage space to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.