Ooni Best Pizza Dough
Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy and quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet super flexible given that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, tricks, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and also desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location might actually stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza evening much more exciting!
Also, this is a durable, quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Tracking down that lp tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and afterwards once we discovered one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which gives you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to low and cooking it awhile longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. With that said, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal and keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I can NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super simple and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook right through.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it simple as well as top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s low-cost and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to purchase it or just try to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I think that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise very light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.