Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast as well as very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet super versatile considering that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my suggestions, tricks, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas and also desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside location may really stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, but here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, as well as after that as soon as we located one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome spot which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to low and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried concerning the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth just right and keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare all the means through.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it leading as well as easy gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and extremely crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to get it or just attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to prepare!
>> Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dust settles on it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply link the lp and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. Since I think that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the real preparing and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really light-weight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.