Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a very easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely functional because they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, tips, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually spark some happiness for you and make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and after that as soon as we found one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. The good news is, our local hardware store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You just transform it up to high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes when you attach the gas storage tank. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and also I were both pleasantly amazed at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize and exactly how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that said stated, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous concerning the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and topping. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical however hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we should purchase it or just try to find something else similar online, I had not been certain. Yet let me save you time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was also pretty basic to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion swear way too much while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that making and cooking food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process entailed. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.