Ooni Baking Steel
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely flexible because they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, ideas, as well as tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane storage tank, and also after that when we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing spot which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warm to cooking as well as low it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that stated, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation process. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook all the method with.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful yet hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we must acquire it or simply try to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Allow me conserve you some time and also power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute ideal dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner promise too much while he was putting it with each other and I assume it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust picks it, however apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the propane as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I assume that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s likewise very lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.