Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet very versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally obtained ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my methods, tips, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas and likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might truly stimulate some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we found one we had to locate a place to get it filled. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the great area which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook also quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a lower temp might be easier. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right and also keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is super simple and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it easy and also leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe how delicious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we ought to purchase it or simply try to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also pretty easy to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
Something that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust picks it, but other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the propane and allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I assume that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the real prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleansing procedure involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.