Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet incredibly functional because they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, methods, and suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza night extra exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas tank, and after that as soon as we located one we had to find a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to low and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that claimed, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat perfect as well as maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a hard cooking procedure. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook completely with.
- Don’t add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to describe how tasty the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply search for another thing similar online. Let me save you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise quite simple to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vow way too much while he was placing it together and also I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
>> Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the lp as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit taxing, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process involved. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really lightweight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.