Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however incredibly functional since they can reach such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my methods, ideas, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Tracking down that propane container and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and then when we located one we had to discover a location to get it filled. The good news is, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, however I called a TON of areas before I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool area which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warm to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be simpler. Keeping that stated, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm just right and keep it relocating. I was happily stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I might NOT have been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually prevailed because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare all the way through.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it leading and also simple lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was doubtful yet enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within and extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been certain if we should buy it or just search for something else similar online. But let me conserve you a long time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather straightforward to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion promise excessive while he was placing it with each other and I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to disinfect the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt decides on it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I assume that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real prepping and cooking to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.