Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy and fast means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but extremely functional given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, suggestions, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening extra amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and after that once we discovered one we needed to locate a place to get it filled up. Luckily, our local hardware store had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the great place which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be much easier. With that said claimed, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat just right and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it easy as well as top lightly. This is not the time to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant yet hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we should get it or just attempt to find something else similar online, I had not been certain. But let me conserve you time and energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth. It was also pretty straightforward to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it together and I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dirt picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected space to store it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just connect the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Because I assume that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally really light-weight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.