Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and also fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however extremely versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my techniques, pointers, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might really spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night a lot more interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and after that once we found one we had to discover a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing spot which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and also low it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. Keeping that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth just right as well as maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook completely via.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. So keep it basic and top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful however enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we must purchase it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that truly tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected room to store it however.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience since I assume that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a problem, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.