Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet extremely flexible since they can reach such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, suggestions, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
You will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane storage tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and then once we discovered one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around and also a good distance between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be simpler. With that said said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried about the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right and also maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it top and also straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to remain to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must acquire it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, yet aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected space to save it however.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) yet I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I think that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the real prepping and preparing to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.