Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however super functional given that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as additionally desired a larger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
Also, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and then when we found one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the propane storage tank, you just turn it approximately high and let it warm up for 20 mins. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both happily shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and topping. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely thin between. This will certainly provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook completely with.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it straightforward as well as leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful however hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real cooking and prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.