Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a simple and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but extremely flexible because they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, suggestions, and techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. Tracking down that lp storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and after that once we located one we needed to discover a place to get it filled. Fortunately, our local equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places before I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the lp tank, you simply turn it as much as high and also let it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both happily stunned at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to cooking and reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. With that said stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat ideal and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will provide you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too several garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. However let me conserve you a long time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also quite easy to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s also really light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage space to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.