Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and also quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but extremely functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, pointers, and methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. Locating that propane container and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and afterwards as soon as we located one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of places before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which gives you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warm to low and cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that stated, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right and also keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim between. This will certainly give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook all the means with.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it basic as well as top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical but confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just search for another thing comparable online. However let me conserve you time and power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear way too much while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt picks it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You just link the propane and allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I think that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s additionally really lightweight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.