Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and also easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but very functional because they can reach such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might really spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a reliable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to find a area to get it filled up. The good news is, our local hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! It was most definitely much easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you attach the lp container, you simply transform it approximately high and allow it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. With that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth just right as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to master it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I really prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He advises using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin between. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick between it won’t prepare completely with.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to define how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online. However let me save you some time and also energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally pretty simple to create – or at least I really did not hear my companion vouch too much while he was putting it with each other and I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the inside or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply link the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I think that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a hassle, the actual preparing as well as prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.