Ooni 12 Inch Perforated Pizza Peel
Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast as well as very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet super flexible given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas and likewise wanted a bigger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza evening more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas container, as well as after that once we located one we had to locate a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. When you connect the lp container, you just turn it approximately high and let it warm up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to use and also how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool place which provides you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be easier. With that said said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal and keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He advises using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the way with.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it leading and also simple gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Let me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright best size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also rather straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion swear too much while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.