Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast as well as very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night a lot more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Locating that propane container as well as having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane container, and afterwards as soon as we located one we had to find a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, however I called a TON of places before I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! It was absolutely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you connect the gas storage tank, you simply transform it as much as high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins. After that lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly stunned at how very easy the Ooni is to use and how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great place which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very slim between. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the means via.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it basic and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical yet enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we should buy it or just try to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Yet let me conserve you a long time and also energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also quite simple to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vow too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, but apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You just attach the lp as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I assume that making and also cooking food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.