Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a easy and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet extremely flexible since they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, thoughts, and also tips – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly spark some pleasure for you and make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Tracking down that lp tank and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we found one we needed to find a place to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the lp storage tank, you simply turn it approximately high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly shocked at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of as well as exactly how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great place which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great range between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a lower temp may be easier. Keeping that said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat perfect and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it easy and top gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced yet confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we ought to purchase it or just try to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright perfect dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally pretty straightforward to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it together and I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) but I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I assume that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.