Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however incredibly versatile because they can get to such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, as well as pointers – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some happiness for you and make pizza evening more interesting!
This is a reliable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas container and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane container, and afterwards as soon as we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of places prior to I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy place which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really slim between. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick between it won’t cook all the way via.
- Do not include as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to explain just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we need to purchase it or simply try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You just connect the gas and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the real prepping and cooking to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise very lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.